Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 42 - Frame Inspection and so much more

It has been a bit of a tumultuous couple of days with our first real disagreement with our site supervisor.  Prior to starting on site we had gone back and forth with Metricon trying to get them to correct both plans and also the variation documents in relation to the Colonial feature posts and roofing outside of bedroom one.  This issue had been outstanding from when we were dealing with the Sales Consultant and over the time between then and now, the feature roofing had been agreed to and then removed by Metricon on at least 3 occasions.  When we received our compliance variation just before site start, we noticed that Metricon had once again removed the feature roofing.  We addressed this on day 1 site scrape with our SS and he advised that he would be able to resolve the issue to meet our expectations.  Within a few days we received an updated compliance variation and updated "final" plans reinstating the roof how we wanted it.  On Monday evening this week we noticed that the Carpenter had installed the posts for the colonial feature at 450mm from the brickwork where it should have been at 600mm according to the updated plans (i.e. this was back to Metricon's original plans again and definitely not what we asked for.  It appears that the chippy was simply working from the old plans (prior to the final variation) and that he was not advised of the update.  I called our SS on Tuesday morning and left a message for him to call back urgently in relation to the colonial feature and also sent an email noting our now significant issue.  

Within the hour I received a call from our SS stating that he "should have told us, but on Monday the chippy said that he could not fix the roofing to the outer wall of the ensuite and therefore had to revert to the 450mm eave.  It was at this stage that my BS meter was hitting the roof!!  Maya got in contact with our SS and requested to meet on site to try and resolve the issue.  The SS apparently provided Maya with just about every reason why he could not fix the beam and posts at 600mm.  Having some drafting background, Maya ended up negotiating "Maya's way" and ended up getting them to extend/move the posts back out to 600m.  Nice one Maya!!  It's times like these that I like having Maya on my team rather than theirs.  Photo of the corrected posts/feature below -

The long awaited Private Frame Inspection that was pushed back on two previous occasions was completed this morning.  Our inspector was really helpful in explaining some aspects of the building, particularly those aspects where he was happy with the extra detail that Metricon's contractors have gone to.  Overall the inspector only picked up 4 minor items on his inspection -
  1. Extra frame needs to be removed to allow for the linen cupboard doors to be installed
  2. Additional bolts need to be installed in the post fixing for the outdoor room where only 2 bolts were installed
  3. The frame needs some final finishings throughout and planing off throughout the house
  4. In one part of the newly installed colorbond roof the capping has been bent out of shape (minor)
We have also had a few significant deliveries in the last couple of days as well including our Blue Rio Bricks and our windows, stacker doors and even the front door.  The whole roof is now complete and the whole house has been wrapped so there is LOTS going on. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment